Florida Car Insurance Overview
Florida’s minimum car insurance coverage requirements are:
- $10,000 of No-Fault or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits – pays for medical expenses, lost wages and death benefits regardless of fault. See Florida PIP Coverage
- $10,000 of Property Damage Liability coverage – pays for the damage that the insured causes to another vehicle.
In addition to the minimum amounts of coverage, the following optional coverage is available car owners:
- Comprehensive – pays for the damage not caused by a collision, such as scratches, theft, vandalism, etc.
- Collision – pays for the damages to the insured vehicle.
- Medical Payments Coverage – pays for medical expenses, beyond those covered by PIP, that result from a motor vehicle accident if the insured receives initial medical services and care within 14 calendar days after the motor vehicle accident (this coverage generally does not pay for acupuncture or massage therapy).
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – pays medical expenses incurred by the insured, insured’s resident relative, or passenger in the insured vehicle when the other driver is at fault and does not have enough insurance to cover the total damages sustained by an injured person or does not have any insurance.
- Bodily Injury Liability – pays for another person's physical injury as a result of an accident for which the insured is liable.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage – pays for the cost of a car rental while the insured vehicle cannot be driven due to damage covered by comprehensive or collision coverage.
- Loan/Lease Payoff Coverage (“Gap” insurance) – pays for the difference between the actual cash value of the insured vehicle and the principle payoff under a loan or lease.
If you would like to have your case evaluated by an experienced Florida personal injury attorney, call our office now for a free non-obligation consultation. You owe us nothing unless we win your case, and in most cases we are able to substantially reduce our personal injury contingency fees to save you hundreds or thousands of dollars.